Recommendations/Tips for Gel Running
1. Remove comb and tape before adaption.
2. Use fresh 1X running buffer for the inner cathode chamber.
3. Rinse the wells before sample loading.
4. Try 200 V first, and optimize the voltage and running time if needed. Do not set voltage lower than 100 V.
Sample Preparation for SDS-PAGE
1. Mix protein sample with 2X sample buffer.
2. Heat the diluted samples at 95°C for 5 min or at 70°C for 10 min.
3. Cool the diluted samples to 4°C and spin down the water condensed on tube surface. (If there is high viscosity part at bottom of tube, transfer supernatant to a new tube.)
Prepare Q-PAGE™ for Sample Loading
1. Open the blister tray of Q-PAGE™ Precast Gel.
2. Briefly rinse the gel cassette with ddH2O.
3. Remove tape and comb; avoid squeezing the gel.
4. Adapt Q-PAGE™ to electrophoresis system; instruction are provided below. (Invitrogen® Mini Gel Tank is recommended.)
5. Use a pipette to gently wash the wells with running buffer to remove residual storage buffer.
6. Fill the wells with running buffer prior to sample loading.
7. Load samples and pre-stained protein marker into numbered wells.
8. Fill both inner and outer chambers with running buffer to the highest level. Ensure gel wells are completely covered.
Power Setting for Running Q-PAGE™
Optimize the voltage and running time if needed.
Initial (per gel)
Final (per gel)
*1 Set voltage higher than 100 V is recommended.
*2 Try 200 V first, and optimize the voltage and running time if needed
*3 For higher voltage conditions, please use fresh running buffer for inner and outer chambers
*4 Running time varies depending on gel percentage, running buffer, temperature, and power supply.
Remove Q-PAGE™ Gel from Cassette
Open cassette immediately after electrophoresis. Avoid gel drying.
1. Insert the cassette opener into corners of cassette.
2. Sequentially pry the opener to separate the two plates.
3. Gently pull up notched plate and let gel stay on the front plate.
4. Use cassette opener to push through the slot in the cassette.
5. Carefully detach the gel from the bottom of gel.
- Avoid diagonally peeling the gel from the corner.
- If necessary, cut well separators with gel remover.
6. Gently remove the gel for further staining or Western blotting.
Proteins separated using Q-PAGE™ Precast Gels can be further stained with most popular staining reagents, such as Coomassie dyes (R-250 or G-250), Silver-stain solution,
and FluoroStain™ Protein Fluorescent Staining Dye. (Cat. No. PS1000)
Transferring Protein from Q-PAGE™ to Blotting Membrane
1. After protein separation using Q-PAGE™, gently detach QPAGE™ from cassette and then equilibrate the gel in transfer buffer.
2. Pre-soak blotting membrane and filter papers in transfer buffer.
*Activate PVDF membrane in methanol before soaking in transfer buffer.
**Prepare 6 filter papers for one gel/membrane sandwich.
3. Assemble transfer sandwich by orientating cathode, sponge, filter papers, gel, membrane, filter papers, sponge, and anode. The protein goes to the direction of cathode to anode.
4. Carefully move roller over the gel/membrane to remove air bubbles and excess buffer until complete contact is established.
5. Insert transfer cassette into transfer module. Notice that black side of cassette should be next to black side of module.
6. Fill transfer tank with pre-cooled transfer buffer to the highest water level.
7. Set constant voltage at 100 V. Transfer for 90 minutes at low temperature condition. Pre-stained protein marker should be visible on the membrane after transfer is completed.
Transfer of proteins to the membrane can be checked using Ponceau S staining before blocking step.
Supplemental Information for Using Q-PAGE™ Precast Gel
Adapting Q-PAGE™ Midi Precast Gels to Invitrogen Mini Gel Tank Electrophoresis System
1. Place the Q-PAGE Midi Precast Gels with notched plate facing toward yourself. No extra adapter is needed.
2. Seat the gels on the bottom of Mini Gel Tank and close the cassette clamp.
3. Fill chambers with running buffer to the level of the fill line. Ensure gel wells are completely covered.
Adapting Q-PAGE™ Midi Precast Gels to other electrophoresis system, please follow the manufacturer’s instruction.
2X sample buffer with reducing agent
62.5 mM Tris-HCl pH 6.8, 2% SDS, 25% (v/v) glycerol, 0.01% bromophenol blue, 5% β-mercaptoethanol or 100 mM DTT (added fresh)
10X Tris-Glycine running buffer
30.0 g Tris base, 144.0 g Glycine, 10.0 g SDS. Bring up the volume to 1 L with ddH2O.
1X running buffer
Dilute 100 ml 10X running buffer with 900 ml ddH2O.
10X transfer buffer
30.0 g Tris base, 144.0 g Glycine. Bring up the volume to 1 L with ddH2O.
1X transfer buffer
*Cool 1X transfer buffer to 4°C before using.
Dilute 100 ml 10X transfer buffer with 200 ml methanol and 700 ml ddH2O.
**Add SDS to 0.1% to promote transfer of high molecular weight proteins.